Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Structure

The Structure phase in USER is all about focusing the things you want to teach into measurable goals and objectives.  This week we have to discuss what we are most/least confident about this part of the information literacy process.

One of my primary struggles with this process is actually setting goals before I dive into the creative process.  I tend to be the sort of person who DOES NOT outline, like, as a rule.  When I was in grade school/high school and had to create an outline for my paper before I wrote the paper, I would either 1) come up with a fake outline just to make the teacher happy or 2) write the entire paper and then create an outline afterward.

I have never been an outline person.

But!

I had a valuable life lesson during the creation of my Online Tutorial.  I had created a couple of quick learning objectives when I was working on the draft for last week and had written the script for my screencast.

After I had finished my recording and was putting the final touches on my tutorial, I glanced at my learning objectives just to make sure I had hit all of them.  And I had not!

I had forgotten that I wanted to make sure students created an ILL account as a result of the tutorial.  Luckily I could add that step in to the TedEd portion of my tutorial, but it was a great opportunity to learn from my learning objectives!

The way I went about it was probably not the most USER-friendly, but it was definitely a start.

Another struggle: goals, objectives, and outcomes are all the same in my head. Need to memorize the differences between them.

Excited that the e-librarian is coming to class today!  I will definitely make sure to form some questions, but, since I have never been an outline person, I don't have many questions currently. :)

Signed,

April Flies-by-the-seat-of-her-pants Youngblood

2 comments:

  1. I'll admit--I would have guessed you were an outline person. Did any of the instructors you observed outline their lessons? Mine really didn't, mostly because they teach so often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been much of an outline person either. Give me a paper and let me write it! But I am finding more and more with instruction that outlining is crucial to stay organized in front of your students. I had similar problems with my online tutorial: thinking I only needed one slide for one goal and that I would need three or four for another and then when I began creating slides realizing it was completely backwards and then having to start all over....it was a vicious cycle.

    In response to Kaia, none of my observations had outlines or lesson plans (except ITLR which has a 7 page long one...). I think it was also because they teach so often they kind of already have the outline made and just throw new things in when they feel like it. Maybe that will be us someday!

    ReplyDelete