Friday, May 2, 2014

Thing 2: Mobile Device Tips

Thing 2 is all about making the most of your mobile device.  I have to admit--I'm pretty vanilla when it comes to using my Nexus 4.  Sure, I know how to change settings, install stuff, and dig around to find what I need on my phone, but I've never really gone out of my way to learn the Easter Eggs my phone was hiding.  Such as:

Screen Shots. 
You can easily take a screen shot on the Nexus 4 by holding down the Volume Down and Power Button at the same time.  I didn't know that!

3D Images. 
You guys I am a HUGE FAN of taking 3D images!  I knew about this tip before doing this Thing, but I still have to share my excitement.  The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to transfer a 3D image from your phone gallery to your desktop... can it be done?  Below is a 3D image I took a few weeks ago in Times Square.  It doesn't look as cool as it does on my phone obviously. ...How to change that? 





Face Unlock.  
Usually I'm not one to fall for the "draw a picture of an elephant to unlock your phone.  No really, it's cool!  We swear!" sort of things, but Face Unlock is slick.  Once you've stored an image of your face in the phone, all you have to do is have your phone at eye-level while unlocking.  In milliseconds, your phone will unlock upon waking it up.  It's super fast! 

Speech-to-Text.
Otherwise known as April's Parent's Favorite Pastime.  
 


Bonus: iPad tips. 
I rented an iPad from my workplace 6 months ago and have formed a bond with the device.  The tips and tricks video presented on 23 Things reminded me of a session at MLA I attended last October titled (something like) 60 iPad Tips and Tricks in 60 minutes.  I didn't find the video provided particularly helpful, as it seemed to just name differences that the new operating system provided, which weren't as fun as the tips from the MLA conference I learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment