Friday, May 2, 2014

Thing 3: Utilities

Thing number three is all about using awesome apps on your phone to help you with your everyday life.  For example:

Google Goggles. 
You guys, the craziest thing just happened to me.  So I was working on Thing 3, right?  When all of a sudden, I get this little notification on my Nexsus.

 Last night I had attended an Edward Hopper event at the Walker Art Museum.  I had snapped a couple pictures of Hopper's sketches of Nighthawks, because it's famous, you know?  Google Goggles decided to share it's knowledge with me this morning.  "I know what that is!" said Google.

Google managed to recognize a Hopper sketch.  Granted, it actually thought it was this book, which has the sketch on the cover, but I'll give it credit!  This happens to me all the time when I take pictures of art, wine bottle labels that I want to remember the name of, things in the store that I might buy later.... Google Goggles is great!

Besides snooping your gallery for facts to impress you with, Google Goggles can also be used in real time.  Simply snap a picture of the real-life item you want to learn more about, and, 9 times out of 10 Google Goggles will give you it's name (especially works well for logos, brands, and man-made items).

No comments:

Post a Comment