Friday, May 23, 2014

Thing 6: CloudOn vs QuickOffice

CloudOn and QuickOffice are both ways you can open and edit Microsoft Office documents from your mobile device.  I spent the last couple weeks with both installed on my phone.  Here's the run-down of what I liked and didn't like about both.  (Sorry that my last screenshot for some reason includes the volume control in the picture... lame!)

CloudOn
One of the huge benefits of CloudOn is that it will load the document with all the formatting displaying properly--just as though you've opened the document in Word.  Your document will not be Googlified. (Scroll down to the QuickOffice app to see how this document would load in QuickOffice--Google's product).  So if you're opening something and want it to look the way you want it to look, then I would definitely use CloudOn.  

One of the HUGE negatives is the app is super slow.  Downloading a document makes me feel like I have dial-up, and the scrolling is super glitchy.  The editing tools weren't very intuitive for me, but I didn't use them that much. 





QuickOffice
QuickOffice is Google's product for opening docs on your phone--if you have an Android you probably have it on your phone already.  And, because it's Google, it's super fast, slick, intuitive, and shiny.  I use QuickOffice for just about all the documents I open. 

THE ONLY PROBLEM is the formatting.  Look at what QuickOffice did to my resume!  So lame.   

My conclusion?  Download both.  If you need to open a fancy document that you just want to look at, you can use CloudOn.  For everything else, there's QuickOffice. 
 








No comments:

Post a Comment