Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Summer Favorites: Thing 19

Thing 19 is devoted to our hobbies and finding helpful apps to compliment them.  For this Thing, I'll talk about 1 successful and 1 unsuccessful app installation.

First, the not-so-successful: MyGarden.

I installed this app because gardening is my summer passion.  In the summer, everything stops--if I could quit work I would probably spend all day weeding.  I was really exited for this app, mainly because one of the features was having help identifying plants in our garden.  We get all kinds of things--there's currently two sunflowers growing up between our rows of unions, and climbing peas in the basil patch.  Most weeds we, of course, get rid of, but I've learned from a few friends that many are good tossed in a salad, like Doc or Lamb's Quarters.  I would love to be able to have gardeners around the world help me identify plants.

However, when I've tried to view some of the other plants people have posted and want help with, all I see is this: 


I tried exploring some of the other features of the app, but was also disappointed.  I added all of the vegetables I'm currently growing to my virtual plants list in the app, and then clicked on "Tasks."  The app simply told me when I should be sowing or harvesting each plant.  I could check off the tasks once they were completed.


All in all, I just didn't find this app that helpful.  Seed packets can tell you when you should plant and harvest each plant you're growing, and the plant identification area didn't work. 

Now let's talk about the hobby app I like: Vivino!  I use this app every time I go into a wine store.  It's super cool -- you can just take a picture of the wine labels and the app will bring up ratings and reviews.  You can store and rate your own wines--perfect for me, since I can never remember if I like Pinot Grigio or Riesling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment