Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Thing 13: Presentations

Much of life is first impressions.  The minute one of my MLIS classmates opens up their PowerPoint from their thumb drive containing a blank white slide with WAY too many words on it, I judge them.  Don't you?  You're in for a long, boring presentation.  (The worst part is, you can't leave, because you'd lose class participation points.)

Learning how to make a snappy presentation that looks like it took a lot of effort is one of the best ways to professionally gain respect and attention.  For this Thing, I played around with Deck Slideshow Presentations.

I LOVE this app.  I think I found another keeper!  I might even try this out when I give a presentation next semester.

What you do: Plug in the text (no longer than a Tweet) or images in the order you want them displayed.  Then, pick a theme.

What the app does: Makes it look REALLY cool!  It's like Prezi without the headache!  PowerPoint with more pizzaz!


I made a tiny presentation and applied a couple different themes to it.  Very.  Cool.  I think many of the themes cost money because most of mine are locked. 


I don't think this app will completely revolutionize presentations.  Each slide can have no more text than a Tweet, so you can't use lengthy quotes or do a book report in this app.  But!  This app would be great for a speech companion, an intro to a speaker, or an informal gathering.  There are tons of library-world uses for this app.

(Have you noticed that I appear to gravitate toward apps that do the design work for me?  See also Thing 14.  Hah!)

No comments:

Post a Comment