Friday, June 6, 2014

Thing 11: Down the rabbit hole

Thing 11 is the library thing: checking out apps for your local library.  I learned quite a bit on my journey with this thing, because through it I learned a lot about the differences between having an app and having a mobile site.

U of M mobile site
I began this thing by looking for a University of Minnesota Libraries app.  I couldn't find one, so I asked a couple librarians if they had heard if one existed.  One librarian told me that she went to a presentation on the new library mobile site, which she understood to be instead of an app. 

This led me to wonder and do some research on what the difference is between a business choosing to build a mobile site, and a business using an app.  I found this great article, which discusses some of the benefits of each mobile presence.  It really depends on what kind of business you have, but the article showed that having a mobile website seems better than having an app because: 
  • They are instantly available - no need to download anything
  • They're compatible across all types of devices.
  • The can be updated instantly
  • They can be found easily
  • They are less expensive.
And many, many more reasons.  But it's good and important to realize that once you have a mobile website, the process of making an app becomes a lot easier.  So it seems like a mobile website is a great place to start for many libraries.

I downloaded HCL's app and compared it to their mobile site, and, lo and behold--they're the same!  Whether you open the site or app, you'll see this:


I think it is important for libraries to have a mobile presence and to consider their user's needs when on their mobile devices.  For example, you shouldn't just take your regular website and slap it into a mobile app.  Think of the things users are most likely looking for when on their phone: Is the library open right now?  Can I renew my book real quick?  Did that new book come in yet?

I think both the U of M and HCL's mobile sites do a great job of having a clean-cut user interface that meets user needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment